Indiana Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer
Fighting Allegations of Domestic Violence in Porter County
Domestic violence is a complex accusation because it occurs behind closed doors in the home, meaning law enforcement will never see what truly occurred to incite the accusation in the first place. As such, these cases are the perfect example of there being two sides to every story, and the defendant typically has no idea they were committing an act of domestic violence until they’re facing criminal charges. Something as minor as raising your voice or slamming a door could be misinterpreted as violent and result in a domestic violence charge.
Trusted Attorney with Over 20 Years of Experience
Do not face this damaging charge without my experienced representation on your side, or else you may end up dealing with irreversible consequences. As your Indiana domestic violence lawyer, I intend to guide you every step of the way and help you feel more confident about your case. This time in your life is serious and therefore requires my dedicated advocacy to help you work toward the best result possible.
What Sets the Law Office of Adam Tavitas Apart?
- I personally handle every case that comes through my firm - when you call, you'll speak with me.
- I offer every client a free initial consultation and flexible payment plans - money should be no barrier to protecting your constitutional rights!
- I have represented clients in over 100 jury trials in both state and federal courts.
Facing domestic violence charges in Northern Indiana? Get in touch with me online or call (219) 245-2655 for a free consultation!
Defining Domestic Violence in Indiana
Indiana defines domestic violence as a crime that occurs when a family or household member commits, attempts to commit, or conspires to commit any of the following against another family or household member:
- A homicide offense
- A battery offense
- Kidnapping or confinement
- Human and sexual trafficking crimes
- A sex offense
- Arson or mischief
- Burglary or trespass
- Disorderly conduct
- Intimidation or harassment
- A crime involving animal cruelty and a family or household member
Because there are various crimes that fall under the umbrella of domestic violence, the prosecution could easily twist the truth into something more extreme than what actually happened. With this in mind, I focus on building a detailed, aggressive case supported by persuasive evidence to increase your chance of leaving your domestic violence accusation behind you.
What is Considered a Domestic Relationship?
What distinguishes a domestic violence charge from other violent crime offenses is the type of relationship between you and your accuser.
These types of relationships include:
- A former or current spouse
- A former or current partner who lived or is living in your household
- A person who shares a child with the defendant
- A person who is or has been a relative
- A person who has an intimate relationship with you, not necessarily sexual
Indiana Domestic Violence Penalties
Depending on the seriousness of your alleged crime, the law may punish you with a misdemeanor or felony charge. The most common form of domestic violence is battery, which is punishable as:
- A Class A misdemeanor: Punishable by up to 1 year of imprisonment and a fine of up to $5,000
- A Level 6 felony: Punishable by 6 months to 3 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000
- A Level 5 felony: Punishable by 1 to 6 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000
- A Level 4 felony: Punishable by 2 to 12 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000
- A Level 3 felony: Punishable by 3 to 16 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000
- A Level 2 felony: Punishable by 10 to 30 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000
Aggressively Defending Your Domestic Violence Charges in Indiana
You don’t have time to waste in a high-stakes situation like yours. Following your arrest, contact me to discuss your next steps forward. As your Indiana domestic violence attorney,
I will work hard to enhance your case with credible witnesses, hard-hitting investigation, and compelling evidence to help establish your innocence. Further, I will help find missing pieces in the prosecution’s case to disprove their credibility and boost your standing with the court.
If you are facing charges for domestic violence, don’t wait. Discuss your case with me online or call (219) 245-2655 today!