Drug Crimes Attorney in Indiana
Empathetic & Trusted Drug Defense in Lake County & Porter County
Drug crimes can range from possession of a small amount of marijuana to trafficking large quantities of controlled substances.
Facing any kind of drug charge can have a lasting impact on your life, but you don’t have to let one mistake ruin the rest of your life. Reach out to the Law Office of Adam Tavitas when you need a qualified drug crimes lawyer in Northwest Indiana.
What are the Indiana Drug Laws?
Indiana has tough drug laws. Even a mere possession charge can result in a sentence of jail time and fines. The severity of the felony depends on the type of drug involved and criminal activities, such as manufacturing or trafficking.
While some drug crimes are certainly more serious than others, any drug conviction can have an impact on your freedom, reputation, and future prospects. For this reason, you should contact an experienced drug crimes attorney immediately if you are arrested on a drug charge.
If convicted, you will have a permanent criminal record that will follow you into the future. In certain circumstances, you could be facing enhanced charges.
You may be facing enhanced charges for:
- Possession of large quantities
- Prior criminal history
- Possession of a weapon
- Financing drug manufacturing
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession of Cocaine and Meth?
- Possession of less than 3 grams of Cocaine or Methamphetamine is a Class D Felony and is punshiable by 6 months to 3 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
- Possession of less than 3 grams of Cocaine or Methamphetamine within 1,000 feet of a school property is a Class A Felony and is punishable by 20-50 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
- Posession of more than 3 grams of Cocaine or Methamphetamine is a Class C Felony and possession within a school zone is a Class A Felony - these crimes are punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
Preparing an Effective Defense
As your criminal defense attorney, I examine all aspects related to your constitutional rights and the circumstances of the case. I thoroughly investigate your case to look for opportunities to suppress statements or evidence, such as
if you were properly advised of your Miranda Rights, law enforcement conducted an illegal search, or if evidence was collected illegally. I look at the circumstances, such as whether others were present in the vicinity and other details to show reasonable doubt. Call today.
Facing charges under Indiana drug laws? When you are ready to start fighting the charges, call (219) 245-2655 for a consultation. You can also contact my firm online.