Chesterton Fraud Lawyer
Providing Aggressive Criminal Defense in Lake County
Fraud charges can arise in a variety of situations. If you have been accused of fraud, you need a lawyer with experience in this area. At the Law Office of Adam Tavitas, we are committed to protecting your rights and best interests inside and outside the courtroom. With our legal experience, we can help you obtain the most favorable result in your case.
What Is Fraud?
Fraud is a deceptive act that is committed with the intent to deceive another person for financial gain. Fraud can take many forms, but it is always a criminal offense.
Types of fraud that are prosecuted in Indiana include:
- Identity Theft: This occurs when someone unlawfully obtains and uses another person's personal information, such as their Social Security number, credit card details, or bank account information, to commit fraud or other criminal activities.
- Credit Card Fraud: It involves the unauthorized use of someone's credit card or credit card information to make purchases or withdraw funds without their knowledge or consent.
- Internet and Email Fraud: These types of fraud encompass a wide range of schemes conducted online, such as phishing, where criminals pose as legitimate organizations to trick individuals into revealing personal information, or online auction fraud, where fraudulent transactions occur on online marketplaces.
- Investment and Securities Fraud: This refers to fraudulent practices in the financial markets, such as insider trading (trading securities based on non-public information), Ponzi schemes (using funds from new investors to pay returns to earlier investors), or pump-and-dump schemes (artificially inflating the price of a stock and then selling it for profit).
- Insurance Fraud: It involves making false insurance claims to obtain compensation or benefits. This can include exaggerating losses, staging accidents, or submitting fraudulent documents.
- Mortgage Fraud: This type of fraud occurs in the real estate industry and involves providing false information or omitting relevant details on mortgage loan applications to obtain financing or to deceive lenders.
- Tax Fraud: It encompasses various fraudulent activities related to taxes, such as underreporting income, inflating deductions, or creating fictitious expenses to avoid paying taxes or obtain illegal refunds.
- Healthcare Fraud: It involves deceptive practices within the healthcare industry, such as submitting false medical claims, billing for services not provided, or engaging in kickback schemes between healthcare providers and suppliers.
- Charity Fraud: This occurs when individuals or organizations exploit people's generosity by misrepresenting charitable causes, diverting donations for personal gain, or creating fictitious charities.
- Bank Fraud: It refers to fraudulent activities targeting financial institutions, such as forging checks, using counterfeit currency, or engaging in check-kiting (manipulating account balances by taking advantage of delays in check clearing).
Fraud can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the value of the stolen property. Additionally, if the offense involved multiple victims or perpetrators in more than one state or country, offenders could face federal criminal charges.
Contact a Fraud Lawyer in Chesterton, IN
If you have been charged with fraud, you need a Chesterton fraud lawyer who has handled hundreds of criminal cases. At the Law Office of Adam Tavitas, we have handled hundreds of criminal cases and have a proven track record of success. We know what it takes to defend clients against fraud charges and can provide you with the legal representation you need.